What Is Dao
House of Dao
We give you the space to refresh the mind, recharge the body and rejuvenate the spirit
Dao is the way, the principle, the truth, which represents the quality of humanity. Dao House opens the door to those who bring an intention of compassion with them to celebrate and enjoy life. We welcome those from all over the world with different cultures, belief systems, views and educational backgrounds to enjoy the natural peace, healing beauty and joy within the House property.
Dao is the way to “return to simplicity and live your true nature”, which is something we are all striving to achieve. At Dao House, we offer organic food in a majestic mountain setting and promote natural movements like tai chi, qi gong and Dao yin, which in essence bring you into your body making you cognizant of your movement, posture and overall well-being. We offer you to retreat into peace with meditation and find balance through our wellness amenities from oxygen to herbal foot soaks, or ride into nature on a horse.
About Dao House
Dao House Retreat & Wellness Lodge sits in the beautiful Tahosa Valley 7.5 miles south of Estes Park, Colorado. This valley was considered the “Valley of Peace” to the Natives, who would come and lay down their arms to counsel several hundred years ago, or lead vision quests up the peaks. This space of peace and healing continues today as a classic, rustic, rural mountain property situated on over 81 acres of private land at the altitude of 9,200 feet. We have 34 lodge rooms in the main building, 5 private rooms in our Hostel and a family cabin, which allow flexibility in your lodging needs. Our Lodge sits cradled on Twin Sisters Peak facing the majestic view of Longs Peak (14,250ft) – the last 14’er along the northern divide.
The peace of mind and feeling of tranquility that our location allows is unparalleled. We invite you to join us for a personal retreat, group or corporate event, or a spectacular wedding in our back-property with panoramic breath-taking views. Should you like to join an event we are hosting or already in place, please visit our Events Page for reoccurring and one-time special events!
Things to Know
Thank you for considering us for your mountain get-away! Before you commit, there are a few things to know beforehand:
- You will most likely see wildlife such as Elk, Deer, Moose, Bobcat, Wolf and Bear as they roam the property freely; therefore, we do not allow animals or pets of any kind
- The true beauty of our property is that you do not need to leave to commune with nature, hike, bike or simply decompress from the everyday responsibilities.
- We are Where East Meets West. In 1948 this property began as Aspen Lodge, a “Dude Ranch” and the original barn, paddocks and some of the trails still remain, so there is some of the charming western décor. After the mudslide in 2013, the opportunity presented itself to revamp to our Asian influenced Wellness Retreat Center, Dao House. With house practitioners trained in the Wu Dang Internal Arts, you’ll notice the fusion of eastern décor to reflect our passion.
- The nearest retail stores are located approximately 15 to 20 minutes in either direction in Estes Park or Allenspark. We try to keep a few necessities around; in case you forget something important.
- The temperature can swing more than 20 degrees a day. The sun can be quite warm, and at night it can be chilly. It rarely gets above the mid 70’s during the hottest part of the day during the peak of summer, and the nights are always cool enough to sleep comfortably. None of our rooms or cabins feature Air Conditioning. If you find your accommodations are stuffy, let us know. We will be happy to help you with the windows and fans.
- Our mountain setting with stunning scenery puts as at the mercy of one internet provider and an area lacking in cellular service. Our land lines are available for you to use for phone calls. There is no guest WiFi.
- The driveway leading up to the main lodge, parking areas and paths around property are gravel and dirt, so during inclement weather we suggest AWD or 4WD as a safety precaution. During the height of season in the pristine summer months any vehicle can access our property. Parking is free, yet unassigned, so we do ask that you are conscious of not blocking in driveways, thoroughfares or other guests. Please note that there are no motor vehicles allowed on our back property trails. These trails are for our horses, hikers, mountain bikers, cross-country skiers, snowshoers and Dao House Vehicles only.
- We have delicious Mountain spring water flowing from our taps so don’t hesitate to fill up your water bottles as it is perfectly drinkable and hydration at this elevation is key to your health and enjoyment.
- Our radiant heat typically keeps up with the mountain wind, however; if you find your accommodations are chilly, let us know and we will bring you a heater or an extra blanket.
- We have a small but personable staff committed to making your stay as enjoyable as possible. It is our pleasure to help with any reasonable request. We enjoy meeting our guests and sharing with them our beautiful views and unique experience.